Sunday, April 6, 2014

Blah Day

Yesterday Brennan got sick and I made him my famous potatoes for the quick energy. It has been really hard to give up making these (as it’s one of the few dishes I consider signatures of mine, especially since I’ve experimented with it to the point it’s perfect). What you do is pour some oil into the pan and wait for it to get a bit warm, toss in about ¾ of an onion and let the slices glisten, then add the garlic. I add lots of onion because I love them but you can do less and it won’t take away from the magic. After that toss in the potatoes (chopped pretty small for thorough cooking) and chopped carrots. If you like crispy potatoes slice them as small as you can and just make sure they don't burn. Carrots and potatoes are the must haves but otherwise you can add squash, pepper, green beans, or okra. There are probably more veggies or food that you can try but those are my favorite. Once those have cooked on medium high for about fifteen minutes add about three tablespoons of red wine or a third of a cup of beer, dried basil, pepper, salt, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and pecans. If you add too much brown sugar it can get sticky. Then, cover the pan and turn down the heat to medium low and let it all meld together for thirty minutes to an hour. This is the tricky part, you want all of it to cook at least thirty minutes without the wine/beer drying up because it can burn it, but you can’t add too much or it will just taste like alcohol. What I do is gently add oil when it gets close or maybe a bit of wine, but it’s just an experiment of taste or death at that point. So in the gist I cheated and ate my potatoes...and they were delicious.

After that I felt bad and really stuck to the diet the rest of the day with vegetables, a smoothie, and bacon/turkey. The potatoes gave me more energy than I'd had in a while and made Brennan feel loads better as well, (had been feeling weak and nauseous).

 tldr; cheated and then reconverted 

No comments:

Post a Comment