Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Thesis of my Keto Adventure

Hello lovely people. I am embarking on the latest health fad, not to lose weight (that might kill me as I'm a tiny person), but to lay the groundwork for my forever eating habits. I am a 5'3" 105 pound female that loves the feeling of being healthy. Since being little I stole the spinach from my brother's plate and ate anything my parent's said was good for me...it was weird, but because of this young oddity I can generally tell how what I eat affects me, both stomach fluctuation wise and the general bodily feeling it causes. The best feeling my body has gone through, up to this point, came from a week of eating mostly fruit with some cheese and meat thrown it, but apparently the keto diet wants you to avoid fruit since it has a lot of sugar in it. The hardest part will be getting rid of fruit as it generally gives me the most energy and I love the flavor of all of the fruit my mouth knows about.

My main little diet growing up was fruit and cheese with lunch meat, fish or steak. I did/do have a vice though, (even Superman has kryptonite), and that is potatoes. They taste fantastic baked, mashed, fried and even better with butter and bacon. Potato chips usually made my mouth the happiest and body the least happy from the sudden energy that quickly left and with it left acne.

In college I fell away from my healthy ways a bit as they were expensive and I didn't have a pot or...stove. I ate at the cafeteria or whatever place on campus had food I could swipe my ID for. I didn't really gain weight, since I went to the gym often, but definitely lost mental prowess and had a general sluggish attitude after a while, this feeling worsened as time passed. There was even a point I ate cupcakes every day as the cupcake shop was only a block away. If you live in Lubbock, TX though go there because they're amazing, Peace O' Cake is the place. Then some badass came out with The Choc'Late Mouse, which was this amazing hole in the wall (now it's a giant hole in the middle of the floor) restaurant that makes you feel like you're Paris at a very intimate coffee shop.  You walk in to cello or violin or jazz music playing gently, and then walk up to this bar where you are greeted by a sign with tons of mousse flavors (like key lime, rocky road and chocolate) that comes with a crust, which also had tons of varieties. They even have this decadent hot chocolate that's thick and smooth all at the same time. So...a lot of sugar entered me and barely waved goodbye before the next one.

So now I am 22 and want to get back to being healthy as well as establish my body into an eating plan that can last into the years I'm supposed to get fat. Keto sounds lovely because it cuts out carbohydrates, which is basically sugar, and replaces it with fats and protein. It honestly makes more sense than any other diet I have heard of (and I've never tried other diets because of that). The other main factor is reading about, and knowing, people that have been on this diet for years and still swear by it. From what I've seen of diets people usually only last a day to maybe two years and generally stick closer to the three weeks or less mark, it's like college but without far, far less good endings.

 The world has accepted that white bread is sugar and only good for quick energy bursts that leave you hungry and makes you fat, but still needs to accept grains and carbs are not the way to go. The problem is people just substituted white bread for wheat and moved on with their lives. Keto is harder, we have almond bread to live on but it's not made in mass amounts and found at a bakery just yet so it requires more work, and then tells us we can't have cupcakes.

From what I have read the weeks of switching from normal to keto diet causes fatigue and headaches and nausea...let's find out.

For some general Keto information check out Reddit's wiki faq


No comments:

Post a Comment