Monday, April 7, 2014



It was a day of dizzy spells and weakness, I desperately wanted to cave to carbs and just feel normal again. Don’t judge me please, I was at work and a lot of the reasoning was because I didn’t want to show any weakness to my employer or have to go home early. This test got worse when I was assigned kitchen duties for the evening, and we make fries, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese and bagel bites, basically carb heaven.


On a sidenote, I have noticed that everything we have is carbs filled, the aforementioned plus cheerios, goldfish and pretzels. About two days ago we had a girl come in that was allergic to wheat and had mostly vegetables packed in her lunchbox. She was the most intelligent and relaxed child I have seen there, and even the most intelligent sounding/acting. How different would kids be if they stopped eating all of these carbs and had this sustaining fat energy? Kids might even have less symptoms of ADHD and be less hyper. I might care more than most people reading this though since I have to deal with their energy at such a constant rate throughout the week.


Instead of giving into carbland I ate my salad, turkey and cheese wrap, and came home to little hamburgers with melted cheese (breadless of course). We had the grass fed beef and it was succulent to the point I licked my lips after every bite. The cheese actually added a really nice layer of stickiness and flavor that I’ve never with bread on top of it.  


Today I also realized how much more you can taste your food without the bread in the way. Bread and potatoes just stifle taste, they generally need something added to have flavor anyways and we use so much of it to hold the food, i.e. quesadillas and sandwiches, that we have to make up for it with more meat or cheese or what have you. Bread also stifles the texture out of dishes. Think about when you eat a salad, how you can taste every single flavor even when you have lettuce in your mouth, and just how much you can feel the texture of every bit in it: cranberries, pecans, cheese, mushrooms and so much  more. Tomatoes both get a crunch and juice sploosh while eggs get their soft roundness to them, you don’t get nearly as many texture feelings when they’re in a sandwich or burger.

tldr; dizzy spells and realized food tastes better without the bread

No comments:

Post a Comment